Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Scarlet Ibis -- Tableau

Today, we went to the Space to have our lessons. When we reached there, we arranged our chairs in a circle and there was a huge empty space in the middle. Our LA teacher said we were going to be doing tableaus for that lessons.

Tableau
A tableau is simply, according to my understanding of our LA teacher's explanation, a mime without movement. It was just a still scene without sound and movement. One of our classmates suggested that it was like a 3D picture. Our LA teacher said it was something like that.

During the lesson...
Our LA teacher said he was going to choose people to act different roles. We did the first scene when Doodle as a baby. There was Doodle, the narrator (Doodle's brother), Doodle's mother and father, Aunt Nicey, and the carpenter who made a mahagony coffin for Doodle (because the doctor said that Doodle would die in 3 months). Our LA teacher said that in a tableau, facial expression, body language and the whole body told something. In addition, the physical distance between characters show how close their relationship too.

Then, in many scenes, our LA teacher would ask if anyone would like to improve on the current tableau. A few raised their hands and our LA teacher would tell him to replace the person acting the role in which he wants to improve. Then, after the improvement, our LA teacher would give his comments then go on to the next tableau.

Everyone had a chance. Then, it was the last scene. I thought I would be so lucky and our LA teacher would forget me. Unfortunately, he remembered. I played Doodle in the scene. The scene was Doodle during the storm, when the narrator went back to see Doodle dead. I had to hug my legs closely to myself, head looking down. Another classmate played the role of the narrator. At first, he was seating quite far and just stretched his hand to put on my shoulder like he was shaking me. Then, our LA teacher suggested that he moved closer to me and put his hands around me like a hug to show the close relationship between the narrator and Doodle at the end.

Our LA teacher too said through all these tableaus, the narrator gets closer and closer to Doodle until my scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment